See Figure 1
The following procedure may be performed with the cylinder head on the cylinder block by using a chuck and a compressed air source to fill the cylinder with air. This will hold the valve closed and prevent it from dropping into the cylinder.
- Remove the valve system and related components.
- Remove the cylinder head.
- Using a valve spring compressor, compress the valve spring and remove the valve spring key retainer.
- Remove each valve spring assembly.
- Lubricate the valve stems, and install the valves in the cylinder head as numbered.
- Lubricate and position the seals (if used) and the valve springs.
- Install the spring retainers, compress the springs, and insert the keys.
- Tap the head of the valve lightly with a wooden hammer to seat the keys.
- Install the cylinder head.