Power steering pump fluid level should be checked at 15,000 mile (24,000 km) intervals.
Dexron®II ATF is the recommended fluid for the power steering pump.
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Drive the vehicle several miles to raise the power steering system up to normal operating temperature.
- Park the vehicle on a level surface and stop the engine.
- Remove the level gauge, wipe it clean, then replace it fully.
- Remove it again and read the level at the HOT side of the gauge. If the fluid reading is at the lower level or below, add the recommended power steering fluid until it reaches the upper mark.
- When the fluid level has to be checked without warming up the power steering system, read the level at the COLD side of the gauge and add fluid accordingly.