REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
Properly disarm the air bag on vehicles equipped with the SRS system. Failure to do so can cause serious injury. The procedure can be found in ( Chassis Electrical ) under the heading "Supplemental Restraint System".
- Discharge the air bag system, on models equipped. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On Loyale and 1985-89 sedans, wagons and hatchbacks, remove the tray from under the parking brake lever by prying it up.
- Pull the parking brake up and remove the shifter knob (with manual transaxle).
- Remove the console cover on XT and Impreza models and disconnect the cigarette lighter. Remove the ventilation control lever knobs. On XT models, remove the front seats.
- On the SVX remove the side console panels by pulling them off (they are held in place by clips).
- Remove any remaining console trays and covers.
- Remove all console retaining screws and remove the console. On all models except the Legacy, the console comes out in one piece, on Legacy models the console comes out in 2 pieces.
- Install the console in position and install all retaining screws.
- Install all console covers and boxes. Connect all electrical leads.
- Install the seats on the XT models.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the console to make sure that shifting is not interfered with and that all pieces are positioned properly.