REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 11
All late model vehicles have 3 point front seat belts, some of the vehicles are equipped with automatic shoulder belts. Some models up to 1989 have standard lap belts in the back seat, while all later models have 3 point belts for rear seat passengers.Front Standard 3-Point Belts
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the rear seat cushion and backrest.
- Remove the rear quarter trim panel.
- Remove the top screw and lower bolt on the retractor assembly.
- Remove the cover at the top of the belt and remove the anchor bolt.
- Remove the seat belt center latch by removing the parking brake cover and removing the mounting bolts.
- Install the seat belt in the reverse order of removal. Tighten the mounting bolts to 18-25 ft. lbs. (25-34 Nm).
- Remove the top seat belt mounting bolt cover and remove the bolt.
- Remove the B pillar trim panels (2 pieces).
- Roll back the carpet at the bottom of the B pillar and remove the lap belt anchor bolt.
- Remove the retractor assembly mounting bolt and remove the assembly from the vehicle.
- To remove the center seat belt latch assembly, remove the bolt cover from the bottom of the latch assembly and remove the mounting bolt.
- Install the seat belt assembly in the reverse order of removal. Tighten the mounting bolts to 18-25 ft. lbs. (25-34 Nm).
- When installing the latch assemblies, keep them angled at about 55 degrees while tightening the bolt.
The automatic shoulder belt assembly consists of a track hat runs along the door frame, a motor and a belt anchor attached a moving metal tape in the rail assembly. This system uses a manual lap belt. The center mounting points for the automatic shoulder belts are retractor mechanisms that lock under sudden vehicle deceleration.
- Properly disarm the air bag on models equipped. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the center pillar trim and the front pillar trim.
- Remove the shoulder belt track mounting bolts and remove the track.
- Remove the drive unit mounting bolts and remove the drive unit.
- Remove the lap belt assembly cover and remove the mounting bolts. Remove the lap belt assembly.
- Remove the front seat assembly and remove the shoulder belt retractor assembly bolts and the retractor assembly.
- Install the components in reverse order. Tighten the shoulder belt track bolts to 7-12 ft. lbs. (10-16 Nm). Tighten the drive unit bolts to 7-12 ft. lbs. (10-16 Nm).
- Install the lap belt assembly and tighten the bolts to 17-36 ft. lbs. (23-49 Nm). Install the retractor assembly and tighten the mounting bolts to 17-36 ft. lbs. (23-49 Nm).
- Install the seat and the interior trim panels. Connect the negative battery cable. Check the operation of the shoulder belt assembly.
The rear lap belt is removed by simply removing the mounting bolts and pulling the belts out. When installing, torque the belt mounting bolts to 17-27 ft. lbs. (23-36 Nm).3-POINT BELT
The rear 3-point belts are removed in the same manner as the standard front belts, except for the removal of the rear quarter trim panel or C pillar panel.