REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- Properly disarm the air bag on models equipped. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Slide the front seat all the way back using the slide adjuster lever.
- Remove the bolts that secure the front section of the seat.
- Move the seat all the way forward.
- Remove the bolt cover on the rear end of the slide rail on the door side. On the XT Coupe, remove the seat anchor cover from the rear end of the slide rail on the tunnel side.
- Remove the bolts that secure the rear section of the front seat.
- Remove the front seat from the vehicle.
- Fold the backrest forward.
- Move the lower slide rails forward so that the front seat is positioned all the way back.
- Position the front seat and align the mounting holes.
- Tighten the bolt that holds the front section of the seat on the tunnel side to 14-29 ft. lbs. (20-39 Nm) on Justy, Loyale and XT and 1985-89 sedans, wagons, hatchbacks. Tighten the bolts to 32-46 ft. lbs. (43-63 Nm) on Legacy, Impreza and SVX.
- Tighten the bolt that holds the front section of the seat on the door side to 14-29 ft. lbs. (20-39 Nm) on Justy, Loyale and XT and 1985-89 sedans, wagons, hatchbacks. Tighten the bolts to 32-46 ft. lbs. (43-63 Nm) on Legacy, Impreza and SVX.
- Move the front seat all the way forward.
- Tighten the bolts that hold the rear section of the seat on the tunnel side, then tighten the bolts on the door side.
- Install the bolt cover at the rear of the seat on the door side.
- Move the seats back and forth to make sure that the slide rails function properly without binding.
See Figures 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17
- Remove the bolts that secure the front of the rear cushion to the floor. On the SVX the seat base is held in place by metal hooks. On some sedan models, the seat back is fastened by an attaching bolt at the bottom and metal hooks at the top.
- Slightly raise the front side of the rear seat cushion and push the center of the rear section down. With the seat cushion held in that position, move it forward until it is unhooked.
- Pass the rear seat belt through the slit in the rear section of the cushion.
- Fold the rear seat backrest forward and remove the bolts which hold the hinge to the right side of the backrest. On the SVX, remove the bolts that retain the seatback.
- Tilt the rear seat backrest approximately 15.75 in. (40cm) forward and slide it toward the right until it can be detached from the left bracket.
- Remove the rear seat from the vehicle.
- Install the seat back into position and install any retaining bolts.
- Install the seat bottom cushion and tighten the retaining bolts to 3-5 ft. lbs. (4-7 Nm) on Justy, 11-25 ft. lbs. (15-34 Nm) on Loyale and XT, as well as 1985-89 sedans, wagons and hatchbacks, 13-23 ft. lbs. (18-31 Nm) on Legacy, Impreza and SVX.
- Be sure that the seat belts are properly positioned and that the seat is securely mounted.