The transaxle can be identified by the 11th letter in the VIN. The transaxle serial number is on the upper part of the transaxle case.
The transaxle can be determined as follows from the 11th digit of the VIN: B-Gumma Manufacturer-5-speed front wheel drive, G-Gumma Manufacturer-5-speed 4 wheel drive.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Unplug the electrical wiring connectors from the starter. Remove the starter to transaxle bolts and the starter from the vehicle.
- From the transaxle, disconnect the speedometer cable, the back-up light switch connector and the ground cable. If equipped with 4WD, remove the activation hoses from the actuator.
- Unplug the electrical connector between the ignition coil and the distributor.
- Disconnect the clutch cable and the bracket from the transaxle. In place of the clutch cable bracket, install the lifting hook, or equivalent.
- Removing the pitching stopper and brackets between the transaxle and chassis.
- Install engine supporter tool 921540000 or equivalent.
- Install the vertical hoist to T000100 transaxle lifting hook and raise the transaxle slightly.
- From under the vehicle, remove the under covers.
- Disconnect the rear exhaust pipe from the front exhaust pipe and the vehicle.
- Remove the center crossmember to engine/transaxle assembly bolts.
- Using a pin punch and a hammer, drive out the axle shaft to driveshaft spring pin. Discard the spring pin and separate the axle shaft.
- Remove the transaxle mounting bracket.
- Disconnect the gearshift rod and stay from the transaxle.
- Properly support the engine assembly. Remove the transaxle to engine bolts.
- Using the vertical hoist, lift the transaxle from the vehicle.
- Install the transaxle assembly in the vehicle and install the transaxle-to-engine bolts. Install the gearshift rods on the transaxle.
- Join the axle shaft and the differential. Install a new axle shaft spring pin. Install the center crossmember and tighten bolts to 27-49 ft. lbs. (37-67 Nm). Tighten the center rubber cushion to 20-35 ft. lbs. (27-47 Nm).
- Install the rear exhaust pipe, engine under covers, pitching stopper and brackets, clutch cable, electrical connectors, speedometer cable, 4WD activation hoses, starter wires and starter-to-transaxle bolts.
- Tighten the pitching bracket-to-frame bolts to 31-46 ft. lbs. (42-62 Nm). Tighten the pitching bracket-to-engine bolts to 13-23 ft. lbs. (18-31 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle, connect the negative battery cable, check the transaxle fluid and test drive the vehicle.