See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
Before adjusting the cable, adjust the brake shoes, if equipped.
- Pull the parking brake lever up. Release it and repeat several times.
It should take the specified number of notches to apply the parking brake.
Justy: 8-9 notches
- Loosen the locknut on the turn buckle and adjust the length of the cable, so the parking brake is applied within specification.
- Tighten the locknut and recheck operation of the parking brake lever.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The procedures outlined here are to be used as an outline. The position and number of clamps used to retain the parking brake cables may vary depending on vehicle year and time of production. Follow each of the cables from end to end, to be sure of routing and mounting.Except Justy
See Figures 7, 8 and 9
- Raise and support the vehicle safely on jackstands. Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the parking brake cover and loosen the locknut. Loosen the parking brake adjuster until the tension is released, then, disconnect the inner cable ends from the equalizer.
- Remove the clips that fasten the cable grommets in place where the cable passes through to the outside of the body.
- Pull the parking brake cable clamp from the caliper or brake shoe and disconnect the end of the cable.
- Remove the cable to transverse link bracket bolts and the bracket.
- Remove the cable to crossmember bracket bolt and bracket.
- Detach the cable rear crossmember guide and pull the cable from the passenger compartment.
- Install the cable through all guides and brackets, and tighten the retainer hardware snugly. Make sure the cable passes through the guide inside the driveshaft tunnel to the interior compartment. Install the cable on to the caliper end or brake shoe.
- Install the cable to the parking brake lever. Adjust the brake shoes, if equipped, then the cable.
- Ensure that the cable is not binding by applying and releasing the cable several times.
- Lower the vehicle.
See Figure 10
- Release the parking brake lever.
- Block the front wheels. Raise and support the vehicle safely on jackstands.
- Remove the wheel assemblies and the brake drums.
- Disassemble the equalizer joint at the brake rod-to-joint assembly, and separate the parking brake cable from the rod.
- Remove the exhaust cover to vehicle bolts and the cover. Lower the cover to access the cable retainer clamps.
- Remove the cable clamps and the hangers.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the parking brake lever on the brake shoe.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the backing plate of the rear brake assemblies.
- Install the parking brake cable on the backing plate of the rear brakes and on the parking brake shoe lever lever.
- Install the cable clamps to the vehicle underbody. Tighten the mounting clamps and hanger bolts to 9-17 ft. lbs. (13-23 Nm). Check to make sure the cable is not binding.
- Install the exhaust cover, equalizer joint and hardware, wheel assemblies and brake drums. Tighten the exhaust cover to body bolts to 4-7 ft. lbs. (5-9 Nm).
- Adjust the brake shoes.
- Ensure that the brake cable is not binding by applying and releasing the handle several times. Adjust the parking brake cable.
- Lower the vehicle.