Brake shoes may contain asbestos, which has been determined to be a cancer causing agent. Never clean the brake surfaces with compressed air! Avoid inhaling any dust from any brake surface! When cleaning brake surfaces, use a commercially available brake cleaning fluid.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise and safely support the rear of the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the brake shoes, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Disconnect and plug the fluid line for the wheel cylinder at the backing plate.
- Remove the wheel cylinder mounting bolt, then remove the wheel cylinder from the backing plate. Be careful not to loose the sheet shim that is behind the backing plate.
- Install the wheel cylinder into position on the backing plate, be sure to place the sheet shim behind it. See FIGS. 36 and 37 for wheel cylinder mounting.
- Tighten the wheel cylinder mounting bolt to 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm) on Justy and 5-7 ft. lbs. (8-10 Nm) on Loyale, STD. and XT.
- Reconnect the fluid line to the wheel cylinder.
- Install the brake system components. Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Lower the vehicle. Fill and bleed the brake system.