REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Identify and tag each spark plug wire, then make a corresponding identification mark on the distributor cap.
- Remove each spark plug wire from the distributor cap, one at a time.
- Remove the distributor cap by unfastening the two spring clips securing the cap to the distributor body.
- Detach the rotor cap from the assembly by pulling the cap straight up and off.
- Position the rotor on to the distributor shaft, making sure the tab on the distributor aligns correctly with the tab on the rotor. Once aligned, push the rotor down until secured in position.
- Place the distributor cap on to the distributor, making sure the tab on the distributor aligns with the tab on the cap. When in place, secure the cap by depressing the spring clips into place.
- Install each spark plug wire to the correct position on the distributor cap as outlined in the spark plug wire procedure in this section
See Figure 1
- Check the outside and inside of the distributor cap for signs of cracks, damage, burns or dirt, and replace if needed.
- Inspect the electrodes inside the cap and replace if the contacts are either burnt or excessively rusted.
- Inspect the center carbon contact point. Make sure the contact spring can move freely, and the amount of carbon protruding out of the cap is at least 0.87 in. (2.2mm).