This transaxle is used in the Loyale, STD. and XT.
The transaxle can be identified by the 11th letter in the vehicle identification number located on the bulkhead panel of the engine compartment.
The transaxle serial number label is mounted on the upper surface of the main case.
The manual transaxle 11th letter code is as follows:
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Loyale, STD. and XT
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Remove the clutch cable and the hill holder cable. Remove the speedometer cable.
- Remove the oxygen sensor electrical connector and the neutral switch connector.
- If equipped with 4WD, unplug the electrical connections at the back-up light and differential lock indicator switch assembly. Disconnect the differential lock vacuum hose.
- Disconnect the starter electrical connections. Remove the starter retaining bolts. Remove the starter from the transaxle case.
- Remove the air intake boot. Disconnect the pitching stopper rod from its mounting bracket. Remove the right side engine to transaxle mounting bolt.
- Install engine support bracket 927160000 and engine support tool 927150000 or their equivalents. Remove the buffer rod from the engine and body side bracket.
Before attaching the special engine support tools, connect the adjuster to the buffer rod assembly on the right side of the engine.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipes at the exhaust manifold flange. Remove the exhaust system up to the rear exhaust pipe assembly.
- If equipped with 4WD, matchmark and remove the driveshaft.
- Remove the spring and disconnect the shifter stay and rod from the transaxle.
- Loosen the upper bolt and nut from the plate that secures the transverse link to the stabilizer. Remove the lower bolt and separate the link from the stabilizer.
- Remove the right brake cable bracket from the transverse link. Remove the bolt retaining the link to the crossmember on each side.
- Lower the transverse link. Using tool 398791700 or equivalent, remove the spring pin and separate the axle shaft from the driveshaft on each side of the assembly by pushing the rear of the tire outward.
- Remove the engine to transaxle mounting bolts. Position the proper transaxle jack under the transaxle assembly.
- Remove the rear cushion rubber mounting bolts. Remove the rear crossmember assembly.
- Turn the engine support tool adjuster counterclockwise in order to slightly raise the engine.
- Move the transaxle jack toward the rear of the vehicle until the mainshaft is withdrawn from the clutch cover.
- Carefully remove the transaxle assembly from the vehicle.
- Carefully raise the transaxle until the mainshaft is aligned with the clutch side. Install the engine to the transaxle and temporarily tight the mounting bolts.
- Install the rear crossmember rubber cushion and tighten nuts to 20-35 ft. lbs. (27-47 Nm). Install the rear crossmember and tighten front bolts to 65-87 ft. lbs. (88-118 Nm); rear bolts to 27-49 ft. lbs. (37-67 Nm).
- Tighten the engine to transaxle nuts to 34-40 ft. lbs. (46-54 Nm). Remove the transaxle jack.
- Install the halfshaft into the differential and spring pin into place. Install the transverse link and stabilizer temporarily to the front crossmember. Install the brake cable bracket. Lower the vehicle and tighten transverse link bolt to 43-51 ft. lbs. (59-69 Nm); stabilizer bolts to 14-22 ft. lbs. (20-29 Nm).
- Connect the shift control rod and stay to the transaxle and install the spring.
- Install the driveshaft (4WD vehicles). Install the starter, pitching stopper, timing hole plug, air intake boot and speedometer cable. Reconnect all electrical and vacuum connectors.
- Connect the clutch cable and hill holder. Install the front exhaust pipe.
- Connect the negative battery cable, check the transaxle fluid level and test drive the vehicle.