REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine coolant below the level of the intake manifold.
- Locate the thermosensor (water temperature sensor) at the water housing on the intake manifold and disconnect the thermosensor electrical fastener.
- Remove the thermosensor with a suitable wrench.
- Coat the sensor threads with sealant and install. Tighten the sensor securely.
- Connect the electrical fastener.
- Fill the engine with coolant.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Remove the thermosensor from the thermostat housing.
- Place the sensor in water of various temperatures and measure the resistance between the terminals with an ohmmeter.
- Resistance should be 7-11.5 kilo-ohms at 14°F (-10°C), 2-3 kilo-ohms at 68°F (20°C), and 700-1000 ohms at 122°F (50°C).
- If the resistance is not within specification, replace the thermosensor.