- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Open the hood to the full open position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On non turbocharged engine, remove the air intake chamber and intake duct. Remove the air intake chamber stay.
- On non turbocharged 2004-2005 vehicles, remove the resonator chamber.
- On turbocharged engine, remove the intercooler.
- Disconnect the transmission harness connector and ground cable.
- Remove the starter. Remove the pitching stopper.
- To separate the torque converter clutch from the drive plate, remove the service hole plug. Remove the bolts that retain the flex plate to the torque converter. When rotating the engine do so in the proper direction of rotation. Install tool ST49827720, or equivalent, to the torque converter case to hold the assembly in place.
- Remove the transmission filler gauge dipstick.
- On 2004-2005 vehicles, remove the throttle body assembly. Remove the pitching stopper bracket.
- Position engine support tool ST41099AC000, or equivalent to hold the engine assembly in place.
- Remove the upper side transmission to engine retaining bolts.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the undercover. Drain the transmission fluid.
- On non turbocharged engine, remove the front, center and rear exhaust pipes and muffler.
- On turbocharged engine, remove the center and rear exhaust pipes and muffler.
- Remove the heat shield cover, if equipped.
- Disconnect the transmission cooler hoses from the transmission side. Remove the oil charge pipe.
- Remove the driveshaft.
- Remove the shift select cable.
- Disconnect the stabilizer link from the transverse link. Remove the bolt securing the ball joint of the transverse link to the housing.
- On 1998-2003 vehicles, remove the spring pins and separate the front halfshafts from each side of the transmission. Remove the halfshafts.
On 2004-2005 vehicles, using tool ST28399SA000, remove the halfshaft from the transmission side. Hold the transmission side joint (AARi) of the front halfshaft by hand and extract the housing from the transmission by pressing it outside. Remove the bolts securing the housing cover. Pull out the front halfshaft from the transmission.
NOTEFace letters -AT- on the handle of the tool to the transmission side. Insert the tool between the transmission and the front halfshaft.
- Remove the bolts and nuts that retain the lower side of the transmission to the engine.
Position a transmission jack under the transmission.
NOTEMake sure that the support plates of the transmission jack do not contact the oil pan.
- Remove the transmission rear crossmember retaining bolts. Remove the crossmember from the vehicle.
- While gradually lowering the transmission jack, fully contact the engine support, and then tilt the engine rearward.
Remove the transmission from the vehicle.
NOTEMove the transmission and torque converter away from the engine as an assembly.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Be sure to use a new differential side oil seal.
- Tighten the engine to transmission retaining bolts to 36.9 ft. lbs.
- Tighten the flex plate to torque converter bolts to 18.1 ft. lbs.
- Be sure to fill the transmission with the proper grade and type transmission fluid.
- Start the engine and check for leaks, correct as required.
- Road test the vehicle.