The sensor is used to detect engine vibrations caused by preignition or detonation and provides information to the ECM, which then retards the timing to eliminate detonation.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner case.
- Remove the collector cover, as required.
- On DOHC engine, remove the intercooler.
- Disconnect the sensor connector.
- Remove the sensor from its mounting.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
Tighten the sensor to 17.4 ft. lbs.
NOTEThe extraction area of the knock sensor wire must be positioned at a 60 degree angle relative to the engine rear.
- Remove the sensor from the vehicle.
- On 1998-2004 vehicles, equipped with SOHC engine, measure the resistance between the connector terminal of the sensor, (terminal 2) and ground.
- On 2005 vehicles, equipped with SOHC engine and 2004-2005 vehicles, equipped with DOHC engine, measure the resistance between the connector terminal of the sensor, (terminal 1) and ground.
- If measured value is less than 700 kohms, replace the sensor.