The ignition timing is controlled by the engine control computer and is not adjustable. To check the ignition timing proceed as follows:
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Warm up the engine, then turn the ignitionOFF
- Connect a timing light to the No. 1 spark plug wire according to the manufactures directions.
- Start the engine. With the vehicle at idle check the timing.
- The timing should be 7-23 degrees Before Top Dead Center (BTDC) at 700 RPM on vehicles with an automatic transmission and 2-18 degrees at 650 RPM on models with a manual transmission.
- If the timing is not correct, there could be a problem in the ignition control system.
The ignition timing is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). No adjustment is necessary or possible.