Removal & Installation
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Using Axle Shaft Puller 926470000 and Plate 927140000, remove the halfshaft from the hub.
- Install the halfshaft into the rear housing.
- Using halfshaft Installer 922431000 and Adapter 927390000, pull the halfshaft into place.
- Install and temporarily tighten a new axle nut.
Install or connect the following:
Halfshaft-to-differential align roll pin holes and slide the halfshaft onto the splines
Bleed the brake system and adjust the parking brake.
New axle nut. Torque the nut to 137 ft. lbs. (186 Nm).
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the wheels and tires.
Unlock the axle nut. Depress the parking brake. Remove the axle nut.
NOTEBe sure to loosen the axle nut after removing the tire and wheel from the vehicle. Failure to do this may damage the wheel bearings.
- Remove the rear stabilizer link. Remove the bolts that retain the trailing link to the housing.
- Remove the bolts that retain the front and rear lateral link to the housing.
- Remove the rear ABS wheel speed sensor from the backing plate.
Remove the rear halfshaft.
NOTEUse axle shaft puller tools ST92647000 and ST28099PA110, or equivalent, if it is difficult to remove the halfshaft. Do not hammer the halfshaft to remove it. Be careful not to damage the oil seal or magnetic encoder.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
Tighten the axle nut to 140 ft. lbs. (190 Nm), with the parking brake applied.
NOTEInstall the tire and wheel assembly after installation of the axle nut. Failure to follow this order, may cause damage to the wheel bearings.