Removal & Installation
- Move the gear shift level to -N-.
- Secure the vehicle with wheel chocks and release the parking brake.
- Remove the rear differential protector, if equipped.
- Remove the drain plug and drain the gear oil. Install the drain plug.
- Jack up the rear wheels and safely support the vehicle with suitable jack stands.
- Remove the rear exhaust pipe and muffler.
- Remove the driveshaft.
- Remove the self-locking nut while holding the companion flange with Special Tool 498427200.
- Remove the protector mounting nut.
- Remove the tank cover.
- Extract the companion flange using Special Tool 399703602.
Remove the oil seal using Special Tool 499705401.
- Drive in a new oil seal using Special Tool 498447120.
- Install the companion flange. Use a plastic hammer to install the flange.
- Tighten a new self-locking nut to 134 ft. lbs. (181 Nm) using Special Tool 498427200 Flange Wrench to hold the companion flange.
- The remainder of the installation is the reverse order of removal.
- Refill the differential with fluid to the correct level.