Removal & Installation
Refer to -Rear Suspension, MacPherson Strut, Overhaul- in this section to remove the shock absorber.
Testing & Inspection
- Check for oil leakage.
- Move the piston rod up and down to check it operates smoothly without any binding.
Measure the play as follows:
- Fix outer shell in a vice and fully extend the rod.
- Set a dial gauge at 0.39 in (10 mm) from the end of the rod, then apply a force of W 4 lb (20 N) to threaded portion.
- With the force of 4 lb (20 N) applied, read dial gauge indication..
- Apply a force of 4 lb (20 N) in the opposite direction of -W-, then read dial gauge indication.
If the difference of the two is more than 0.031 in. (0.8 mm), replace the strut.