- Remove the rack and pinion gearbox and secure it in a vice using Special Tool 926200000.
- Remove tie-rod end and lock nut from gearbox.
- Remove the tie-rod end plate, if equipped
- Remove small clip from boot using pliers, and slide the boot to the tie-rod end side.
- Using a suitable pry tool, remove band from boot.
Extend the rack approximately 1.57 in. (40 mm) out. Unlock the lock wire at the lock washer on each of the tie rod end using a suitable pry tool.
CAUTIONBe careful not to scratch rack surface as oil leaks may result.
- Using Special Tool 92623000 Spanner, loosen the lock nut.
- Tighten the adjusting screw until it no longer turns.
Using an adjustable wrench, remove the tie rod.
- Install the lock washer and tighten the tie-rods into the rack ends.
- Stake the lock washer with a chisel.
Install the boot onto the housing. Ensure the boot sits securely in the groove on the gearbox and rod.
NOTEBefore installing the boot, apply grease to the groove of the tie rod.
Using a screwdriver, tighten the screw of the boot band until the ends -A- and -B- of the band come into contact with each other.
NOTEAlways tighten the band from the underside of the steering gear box.
- Install the small clip on the boot end.
- Install the lock plate, if equipped.
- Screw in the lock nut and tie-rod end to the screwed portion of the tie-rod.
Install the rack and pinion gearbox into the vehicle.