- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Open the hood to the full open position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the collector cover.
- Remove the air intake chamber. Remove the air breather hose.
- Remove the starter.
- Disconnect the front oxygen sensor and the transmission harness connector.
- Disconnect the engine harness connectors and remove the rear engine hanger.
- Remove the vacuum pipe and hose assembly. Remove the brake vacuum pump.
- Remove the throttle body retaining bolts and slide the throttle body over.
- To separate the torque converter clutch from the drive plate, remove the service hole plug. Remove the bolts that retain the flex plate to the torque converter. When rotating the engine do so in the proper direction of rotation. Install tool ST49827720, or equivalent, to the torque converter case to hold the assembly in place.
- Remove the pitching stopper. Remove the pitching stopper bracket.
- Position engine support tool ST41099AC010 and ST41099AC020 or equivalent to hold the engine assembly in place.
- Remove the upper side transmission to engine retaining bolts.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the undercover.
- Remove the front, and rear exhaust pipe and muffler. Remove the heat shield cover.
- Drain the transmission. Remove the oil charge pipe.
Disconnect the connector from the number one turbine speed sensor. Remove the number one turbine speed sensor from the transmission body. Be sure to cover the hole to prevent dirt from entering.
NOTEFailure to follow this procedure may cause interference between the vehicle body and the sensor when removing the transmission.
- Remove the driveshaft.
- Remove the shift select cable.
- Disconnect the hose from the transmission inlet and outlet fluid lines.
- Remove the front crossmember support plate.
- Remove the two clutch housing cover retaining bolts. Remove the front stabilizer clamp.
- Remove the bolts that retain the front ball joint to the housing.
- Pull out the front halfshaft from the transmission. Place a cloth between the tool and the transmission to avoid damaging the side retainer of the transmission.
Position a transmission jack under the transmission.
NOTEMake sure that the support plates of the transmission jack do not contact the oil pan.
- Remove the transmission rear crossmember retaining bolts. Remove the crossmember from the vehicle.
- Remove the transmission to engine lower retaining bolts.
Remove the transmission from the vehicle. Turn the engine support fixture assembly to the left and lower the rear of the engine for easy removal.
NOTEMove the transmission and torque converter away from the engine as an assembly.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Be sure to use a new differential side oil seal.
- Be sure to fill the transmission with the proper grade and type transmission fluid.
- Start the engine and check for leaks, correct as required.
- Road test the vehicle.