Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley cover.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.
- Lock the crankshaft in place using tool ST499977100, or equivalent.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley.
Remove the front timing chain cover.
NOTEBolts are three different sizes. Be careful to install the correct bolt in the correct hole.
- Remove the timing chain.
Remove the camshaft sprocket.
NOTEBe sure to lock the camshaft in place using tool ST499977500, or equivalent.
- Remove the crankshaft sprocket.
- Remove the oil pump.
- Remove the water pump.
Remove the rear timing chain cover retaining bolts. Remove the rear timing chain cover.
NOTEThere are seven different size bolts. Be sure not to confuse them on installation.
- Remove the camshafts.
- Remove the cylinder head bolts in the proper sequence. Leave bolts 2 and 4 connected by a few threads to prevent the head from falling. Tap the head with a plastic mallet to separate it from the block.
- Remove bolts 2 and 4 from the cylinder head. Remove the cylinder head from the engine. Discard the gasket.
Clean all gasket material from both mating surfaces.
- Installation i