The valve adjustment should be performed while the engine is cold.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the under cover.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Remove the collector cover.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On the right side, remove the air intake duct and air cleaner case. Remove the fuel tank protector. Disconnect the oil pressure switch electrical connector. Remove the ignition coil.
- On the left side, remove the battery and battery carrier. Disconnect the PCV hose from the rocker cover. Remove the ignition coil.
- Remove the rocker cover retaining bolts. Remove the rocker covers from the engine.
Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the cam is set in position, see illustration.
Using a feeler gauge measure and record the clearance of the intake and exhaust valve.
NOTEMeasure it within the range of +/- 30 degrees from the specified position, shown in the illustration. Measure it in the low cam for the intake side. Insert the feeler gauge in a horizontally as possible with respect to the valve lifter.
- Further turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise and then measure and record the valve clearance again.
- If adjustment is required, remove the camshafts.
- Remove and measure the thickness of the valve lifter. Select a suitable shim, using the shim selection chart.
- Install the replacement shim to the lifter.
- After all shims have been adjusted, inspect the valve clearances again.
After completion, install all removed components.