Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the wheels and tires.
Unlock the axle nut. Depress the parking brake. Remove the axle nut.
NOTEBe sure to loosen the axle nut after removing the tire and wheel from the vehicle. Failure to do this may damage the wheel bearings.
- Remove the rear differential assembly.
Remove the axle nut and rear halfshaft.
NOTEUse axle shaft puller tools ST92647000 and ST28099PA110, or equivalent, if it is difficult to remove the halfshaft. Do not hammer the halfshaft to remove it. Be careful not to damage the oil seal or magnetic encoder.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
Tighten the new (olive colored) axle nut to 177 ft. lbs. (240 Nm), with the parking brake applied.
NOTEInstall the tire and wheel assembly after installation of the axle nut. Failure to follow this order, may cause damage to the wheel bearings.