Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the wheels and tires.
Raise the crimped portion of the axle nut. Depress the brake pedal and remove the axle nut.
NOTEBe sure to loosen the axle nut after removing the tire and wheel from the vehicle. Failure to do this may damage the wheel bearings.
- Remove the stabilizer link from the front arm. Disconnect the front arm ball joint from the front housing.
Remove the front halfshaft assembly.
NOTEUse axle shaft puller tools ST92647000 and ST28099PA110, or equivalent, if it is difficult to remove the halfshaft.
- Remove the front halfshaft from the transmission, using a pry bar. Be careful not to damage the holder portion.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Be sure to replace the differential side seal with a new one.
- Be sure to use new locknuts.
While depressing the brake pedal, tighten a new axle shaft nut (olive color) to 177 ft. lbs. (240 Nm).
NOTEAlways tighten the axle shaft nut before installing the tire and wheel assembly