REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 1800 Turbo
The oil pump can be removed with the engine in the vehicle. The oil pump is located on the front of the engine and has the oil filter mounted on it. The pump and filter may be removed as an assembly.
- Unfasten the 4 bolts which secure the pump to the engine.
- Remove the pump, complete with the gasket and filter.
- Remove the filter from the pump.
- Install the oil filter on the pump boss.
- Using new gaskets and O-rings, fit the pump to the crankcase and carefully engage the pump drive with the slot in the end of the camshaft. Be sure that the pump mounts flush to the block.
- Secure the pump with the 4 mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts until snug
- Check the engine oil level and add oil, as necessary, to replace any that was lost.
- Place a pan underneath oil filter and pump assembly to collect oil, and, using a strap wrench, remove the filter.
- Next, remove the three bolts which fasten the two oil cooler lines (at bottom) and the turbocharger supply line (at the side) of the attachment. Remove the bolt fastening the brace for the two oil cooler pipes to the block.
- Support the attachment with one hand while you unscrew the connector which retains it with the other. Now, gently pull the attachment free of the O-rings which seal it. Remove the oil pump attaching bolts, and remove the pump.
Replace the washers which go over the bolts, as well as the oil pump-to-block O-ring, and the two attachment O-rings. Oil all O-rings. Then, install in reverse order, observing the following specifications:
Piping to attachment: 25 ft. lbs. (33 Nm)