REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the engine from the vehicle and mount it in a workstand.
- Remove the valve covers and their gaskets from the heads.
- Remove the nuts which secure the rocker assemblies to the cylinder heads.
- Remove the rocker assemblies.
- Remove the pushrods from their bores, being sure to keep them in the same sequence in which they were removed.
- Install the pushrods in their proper bores.
- Install the valve rocker assemblies and tighten the assembly mounting bolts to 30-35 ft. lbs. (40-47 Nm) on ff-1 models, 37-43 ft. lbs. (50-58 Nm) on 1970-79 models and 47 ft. lbs. (63 Nm) on 1980-84 models.
Inspect rocker arms for pitting or wear on the valve contact point, or excessive bushing wear. Bushings need only be replaced if wear is excessive, because the rocker arm normally contacts the shaft at one point only. Grind the valve contact point of rocker arm smooth if necessary, removing as little material as possible. If excessive material must be removed to smooth and square the arm, it should be replaced. Clean out all oil holes and passages in rocker shaft. If shaft is grooved or worn, replace it. Lubricate and assemble the rocker shaft.