REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The timing gears on all 1970-84 OHV Subaru engines are located at the rear of the engine and are covered by the flywheel housing. In order to remove the flywheel housing the engine must be removed from the vehicle. Once this is done proceed in the following order:
- Separate the engine from the transaxle. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, remove the torque converter with the transaxle.
- If equipped with a manual transaxle, remove the clutch assembly from the flywheel. Remove the flywheel (MT) or the converter drive plate (AT) from the crankshaft.
- Remove the flywheel housing-to-engine bolts and work the housing from the two aligning dowels.
- Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- Use a new gasket (if equipped) and reverse the removal procedures. The flywheel mounting holes are not equally spaced so that the flywheel cannot be incorrectly installed. See for proper clutch installation procedures. Tighten the flywheel housing-to-engine bolts to 14-20 ft. lbs. (18-27 Nm), the flywheel-to-crankshaft (MT) bolts to 30-33 ft. lbs. (40-44 Nm) or the drive plate-to-crankshaft (AT) bolts to 36-39 ft. lbs. (48-52 Nm) and the transaxle-to-engine bolts to 34-40 ft. lbs. (46-54 Nm)
OIL SEAL REPLACEMENT
The flywheel housing cover oil seal is pressed in.
- Remove the engine from the vehicle and separate the engine from the transaxle.
- Remove the flywheel and clutch assembly from the engine as detailed in .
- Remove the flywheel housing from the engine and remove the oil seal from the housing.
- Install the new oil seal pressing it into place.
- Reassemble the engine and install it in the reverse order of disassembly and removal.