REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Do not perform this operation on a hot engine. Depress the button on the radiator cap to relieve the pressure in the cooling system.
- Drain the cooling system by loosening the plugs on the radiator and cylinder block.
Place a large, clean container of adequate capacity underneath the drains to catch the coolant for reuse.
- Loosen the bolts on the alternator bracket and remove the drive belt.
- Remove the hoses connected to the pump, which is located on the driver's side at the front of the engine, by unfastening the hose clamps.
- Remove the bolts which secure the water pump and remove the pump assembly. On the 1800 Turbo, the timing scale plate will come off along with the top left bolts. Note the location of the scale and then remove it with those two bolts.
- Install the water pump onto the engine. Tighten the water pump bolts securely and attach the hoses. Install the timing scale, if applicable. Install the drive belt. Adjust the drive belt tension at the alternator. Tighten the alternator mounting bolts and replenish the cooling system to the proper level. Run the engine and check for leaks or abnormal noise.