The lubricant should be changed according to the schedule in the Maintenance Intervals chart.
Use gear oil with API classification GL-5. Viscosity should be:
The lubricant level in the drive axle is checked in a similar manner as the engine oil.
- With the engine OFF and the vehicle parked on a level surface, open the hood and remove the dipstick. The dipstick is located to the rear of the engine oil dipstick and near the starter motor.
- If the lubricant level is not at the upper mark on the dipstick additional gear oil is necessary and should be added through the dipstick filler tube. Use the proper weight oil with API classification of GL-5. Do not overfill.
DRAIN AND REFILL
- Park the vehicle on a level surface, turn the engine OFF and apply the parking brake.
- Raise and support the vehicle with jackstands.
- Place a container of adequate capacity beneath the drain plug, located on the lower left side of the differential case, near the left axle shaft.
- Remove the drain plug and allow the fluid to drain.
- After draining, replace the drain plug and gasket. Do not overtighten.
- Remove the differential dipstick and fill the differential to the upper mark on the dipstick.