REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the headlight bezels, by unfastening their attaching screws.
- Loosen and remove the retaining ring screws, then remove the ring.
- Pull the headlight out and disengage the connector from the back of the sealed beam unit.
- Reverse the procedure to install the headlight.
The headlights must be properly aimed to provide the best, safest road illumination. The lights should be checked for proper aim, and adjusted if necessary, after installing a new sealed beam unit or if the front end sheet metal has been replaced. The headlamps should be aimed by a professional with a special alignment tool. Certain state and local authorities may require professional adjustment, but use the procedure below for temporary adjustments.
Horizontal and vertical aiming of each sealed beam unit is provided by two adjusting screws, which move the mounting ring in the body against the tension of the coil spring.
- Place the car on a level floor with headlamps 25 ft. (7.62m)from a light colored wall.
- Tape three vertical lines on the wall, one for the vertical center of the car and two for the vertical center of the headlamps. Then, tape one horizontal line for the horizontal and vertical center of the headlamps.
- Adjust the low beams so the high intensity zone is just below the horizontal line and to the right of the outboard vertical lines.
- Adjust the high beams so the high intensity zone is centered where the outboard lines intersect with the horizontal line.