REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Sleeve Yoke Type
- Drain the differential oil as outlined in .
- Raise the rear wheels and support the car with jackstands.
- Remove the four mounting bolts which secure the halfshaft to the wheel.
- Remove the side yoke retaining bolt which secures the halfshaft to the differential.
- Lower the halfshaft assembly, being careful not to damage the rubber boot.
- Reverse the above process to install the halfshaft.
- Firmly apply the parking brake.
- Remove the rear wheel cap and the cotter pin, then loosen the castle nut.
- Disconnect the shock absorber from the inner arm.
- Loosen the crossmember outer bushing lock bolts.
- Remove the inner trailing arm-to-chassis bolt and the inner arm.
- Raise and support the rear of the vehicle with jackstands.
- Remove the rear wheel assemblies.
- Using a 6mm diameter. steel rod or a pin punch, drive the inner/outer spring pins from the DOJ's (Double Offset Joint).
- With the trailing arm fully lowered, remove the ball joint from the trailing arm spindle and the inner DOJ from the differential spindle.
- Remove the castle nut and the brake drum
- Disconnect and plug the brake hose from the inner arm bracket.
- Remove the brake assembly from the trailing arm.
- Disconnect the inner arm from the outer arm and remove the inner arm from the vehicle.
- Secure the inner arm in a vise, then using a hammer and a punch, straighten the staked portion of the ring nut. Using tool No. 925550000 or equivalent, remove the ring nut.
- Using a plastic hammer on the outside of the spindle, drive it inward to remove it.
- Clean, inspect and/or replace the necessary parts.
- Using an arbor press and a piece of 35mm pipe, insert the spindle from the inside and press the outer bearing's inner race from outside.
- Using tool No. 925550000 or equivalent, tighten the axle shaft ring nut to 127-163 ft. lbs. (172-220 Nm). Using a punch and a hammer, stake the ring nut, facing the ring nut groove.
- To complete the installation, use new spring pins and reverse the removal procedures.
- Tighten the backing plate-to-axle housing bolts to 34-43 ft. lbs. (46-58 Nm).
- Tighten the axle spindle-to-axle housing nut to 145 ft. lbs. (196 Nm) and the shock absorber-to-inner arm bolt to 65-87 ft. lbs. (88-117 Nm).
- Bleed the brake system.
After tightening the rear axle halfshaft-to-axle housing nut, tighten the axle shaft nut 30 degrees further.