- Inspect the sensor connector connection, check terminal for poor connections, loose wires, bent, broken, or corroded pins, and then verify that the connector is securely fastened.
- Remove the sensor from the engine.
With the sensing portion of the sensor immersed in hot water, check the resistance between terminals using an ohmmeter at the following temperatures:
- Engine coolant temperature 68°F, resistance 2.1-2.9 kohms.
- Engine coolant temperature 122°F, resistance 0.68-1.00 kohms.
- Engine coolant temperature 194°F, resistance 0.236-0.260 kohms.
- If it does not meet specification, replace the sensor.
Immerse temperature sensing part of ECT sensor in water and measure resistance between sensor terminals while heating water gradually. If measured resistance doesn-t show such characteristic as shown, replace ECT sensor.