Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Disconnect or remove the following:
Engine fan, refer to Engine Fan removal and installation
- Remove camshafts.
Lift out the valve lifters using a magnet or suction cup.
NOTEMake a note of the positions of each part.
Remove the balance shaft.
NOTECheck that the engine block has a drainage hole by the rear balance shaft bearing. If there is no drainage hole, one will need to be drilled.
To drill the drainage hole for rear balance shaft bearing:
Drill down to the drainage duct using the correct drill bit 0.315 inch (8mm)
- Install balance shaft into position.
- Install cylinder head and tighten bolts in sequence from center outwards in two steps:
Install the valve lifters.
NOTEIf the cylinder head has been replaced, the valve clearance must be adjusted. Refer to Valve Lash adjustment.
- Lubricate and install valve lifters.
Exhaust manifold and tighten the eight M8 nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm)
- Refill the cooling system using the proper grade and type of engine coolant.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Run engine and allow it to reach full operating temperature. Recheck fluid levels. Fill as required.