Removal & Installation
This model is equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column, and instrument panel, disable the SRS.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect battery cable.
- Remove steering wheel and air bag module. Refer to Steering Wheel removal and installation.
Remove steering column covers. Remove or disconnect the following:
The 3 screws from lower cover
- Remove the contact reel:
- Remove the ignition switch:
Install the ignition switch:
- Position the ignition switch and tighten the 2 screws.
- Connect the electrical connector.
- Install the contact reel. Tighten the 4 M5 screws to 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Install the upper and lower steering column covers. Tighten the screws.
- Install the air bag and steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel removal and installation.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Remove steering column (1). Refer to Combination Switch for removal procedure.
Using center punch (1), loosen and remove steering lock mounting bolts (2).
NOTEUse care not to damage aluminum part of steering lock body with center punch.
- Turn ignition key to -ACC- or -ON- position and remove steering lock assembly from steering column.
- Position oblong hole (1) of steering shaft (2) in the center of hole (3) in column (4).
- Turn ignition key to -ACC- or -ON- position and install steering lock assembly (5) onto column (4).
- Now turn ignition key to -LOCK- position and pull it out.
Align hub on lock with oblong hole (1) of steering shaft (2) and rotate shaft to assure that steering shaft is locked.
- Tighten new bolts (1) until head of each bolt is broken off.
Turn ignition key to -ACC- or -ON- position and check to be sure that steering shaft (2) rotates smoothly. Also check for lock operation.
- Install steering column. Refer to Combination Switch for installation procedure.