Removal & Installation
This model is equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column, and instrument panel, disable the SRS.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect battery cable.
- Remove steering wheel and air bag module. Refer to Steering Wheel removal and installation.
Remove steering column covers. Remove or disconnect the following:
The 3 screws from lower cover
- Remove the contact reel:
Remove the turn signal combination switch:
- Remove the 2 screws for the switch.
Remove the rubber boot.
NOTEThe pins on the switch are fragile.
- Carefully pull the switch straight out. the connectors and remove the multifunction switch.
Install the turn signal combination switch:
- Install the rubber boot.
Insert the switch straight in from the side in the correct position.
NOTEEnsure that the pins are in the correct positions in the micro-switch.
- Install the screws for the switch.
- Install the contact reel. Tighten the 4 M5 screws to 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Install the upper and lower steering column covers. Tighten the screws.
- Install the air bag and steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel removal and installation.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Do not contact coil (on combination switch) more than allowable number of turns (about two and a quarter turns from the center position clockwise or counterclockwise respectively), or coil will break.
- Remove steering wheel from steering column referring to Steering Wheel for removal and installation procedure.
Remove steering column hole cover (1).
- Remove steering column cover screws (1).
Separate upper cover (2) and lower cover (3), then remove them.
Remove contact coil and combination switch assembly screws (1) and disconnect connectors (2) from combination switch (3).
- Remove contact coil and combination switch assembly from steering column.
- Check to make sure that vehicle-s front tires are set at straight-ahead position and then ignition switch is at -LOCK- position.
Install contact coil and combination switch assembly (3) and then connect all connectors disconnected in Removal.
NOTENew contact coil and combination switch assembly is supplied with contact coil set and held at its center position with a lock pin (1) and seal (2). Remove this lock pin after installing contact coil and combination switch assembly to steering column.
Install steering column upper cover (2) and lower cover (3), and then tighten steering column cover screws (1).
CAUTIONWhen installing lower cover (3) and upper cover (2), be careful so that contact coil and combination switch lead wire is not caught between covers.
- Install steering column hole cover (1).
- Install steering wheel to steering column. Refer to Steering Wheel for installation procedure.