Care should be used when working around the fuel system. DO NOT smoke or expose the fuel system to any open flames. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- Place the vehicle in PARK for automatic transmission or NEUTRAL for manual transmission.
- Remove the relay box cover.
- Disconnect the fuel pump relay from the relay box.
- Remove the fuel filler cap from the filler neck to release the fuel vapor pressure in the fuel tank.
- Start the vehicle and allow the engine to run until it stalls.
- Crank the engine 3 more revolutions to eliminate any remaining pressure in the fuel lines.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Connect the fuel pump relay to the relay box.
- After servicing the fuel system, connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks in the system.