Disassemble the clutch master cylinder as follows:
Inspect all disassembled parts for wear or damage, and replace parts if necessary.
NOTEWash disassembled parts with brake fluid. Do not reuse piston assembly and circlip.
Inspect cylinder bore for scoring or corrosion. It is best to replace corroded cylinder. Corrosion can be identified as pits or excessive roughness.
WARNINGPolishing bore of cylinder with cast aluminum body with anything abrasive is prohibited, as damage to cylinder bore may occur.
- Rinse cylinder in clean brake fluid. Shake excess rinsing fluid from cylinder. Do not use a cloth to dry cylinder, as lint from cloth cannot be kept away from cylinder bore surfaces.
Assemble the clutch master cylinder as follows:
NOTEBefore installation, wash each part in specified brake fluid.
- Apply brake fluid to inside of piston assembly and cylinder body.
- Install piston assembly into cylinder.
- With piston pushed down, install circlip as shown in the figure. And install boot.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Clean around reservoir cap and take out fluid with syringe or such.
- Remove clevis.
Disconnect fluid pipe from master cylinder.
NOTEDo not allow fluid to get on painted surfaces.
- Remove master cylinder attaching nuts.
Remove master cylinder assembly and gasket.
- Bleed air from the clutch master cylinder.
Install master cylinder assembly and new gasket to body, attaching nuts.
NOTEDo not reuse gasket.
- Tighten attaching nuts to 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Connect fluid pipe and tighten flare nut to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm).
- Install clevis and clevis pin.
- Fill reservoir with specified brake fluid and check fluid leakage.
After installation, bleed air from system.
Check clutch pedal free travel as follows:
- Depress clutch pedal, stop the moment clutch resistance is felt, and measure how much pedal has moved (clutch pedal free travel) as represented by -d- in the figure.
- Then check its conformance to specification. Specification (-d-) should measure 0.24-0.51 inch (6-13mm)
- If -d- is not within specification, check pedal arm and master cylinder and replace defective part.