- Disable the air bag system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the air bag module attaching screws, then the air bag assembly from the vehicle.
CAUTIONWhen carrying a live air bag module, make sure that the bag and trim cover are pointed away from you. Never carry the air bag module by the wires or the connector on the underside of the air bag module. In case of an accidental deployment, the bag will then deploy with minimal chance of injury. When placing a live air bag module on a bench or other surface, always face the bag and trim cover in the up position, away from the surface. Never rest a steering column assembly on the steering wheel with the air bag module face down and the column vertical. This is necessary so that a free space is provided to allow the air bag to expand in the unlikely event of accidental deployment. Otherwise, personal injury could result.
NOTEThe air bag system coil assembly is easily damaged if the correct steering wheel puller tools are not used.
- Remove the steering wheel attaching nut, then using a suitable puller, remove the steering wheel.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors from the steering wheel, then the rear steering wheel cover.
- Reverse procedure to install. Torque steering nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm) and the air bag module attaching screws to 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Reactivate the air bag system.