Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the 31-pin ABS wiring harness connector from its socket on the EBCM.
Cover the connector and the socket with shop cloths to protect them from brake fluid.
- Remove the brake pipes from the hydraulic unit. It may be necessary to loosen the brake pipe nuts on the master cylinder to allow for moving those pipes out of the way.
- Loosen the mounting nuts on the hydraulic unit.
- Move the brake pipes aside far enough to allow for lifting the ABS 5.3 unit out of the mounting bracket.
- Tighten the brake pipe nuts on the master cylinder to avoid leaking brake fluid.
Cap the brake pipes.
- Insert the ABS 5.3 hydraulic unit into its mounting bracket and install the nuts.
- Tighten the ABS 5.3 mounting nuts to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm)
- Remove the screw plugs and install all of the hydraulic brake pipes.
- Tighten the brake pipe nuts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm)
- Connect the 31-pin wiring harness connector J1.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Bleed the hydraulic system.
The control module is part of hydraulic control assembly and is serviced as one unit.