Overhaul (Coil Spring Removal & Installation)
Refer to strut removal and installation.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the strut upper cap and nut.
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Remove the coil spring by disassembling the strut assembly as follows:
- Fasten the strut assembly to the spring compressor DW320-010 or KM-329-A. Make sure the hooks are seated on the strut spring properly.
- Compress the front spring with the spring compressor.
- Use an open end wrench to hold the threaded piston rod while removing the piston rod nut and the washer with a commercially available double ring spanner, sharply offset.
- Remove the upper strut mount, the mount bearing, the upper spring seat, the upper spring insulator and the hollow bumper.
- Release the spring.
- Remove the spring and the lower spring insulator.
Install the coil spring by assembling the strut assembly as follows:
- Install the lower spring insulator and the spring.
- Compress the spring using the spring compressor KM-329-A.
- Install the hollow bumper, the upper spring insulator, the upper spring seat, the upper strut mount, and the mount bearing. Be sure the upper spring seat is clipped to the front spring locator.
- Install the piston rod nut. Tighten the piston rod nut to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Release and remove the spring compressor KM-329-A.
Install or connect the following:
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the nuts securing the strut assembly to the body of the vehicle and tighten to 48 ft. lbs. (65 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.