REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
The speed sensor is not serviceable and must replaced if malfunctioning. The sensor is mounted on the front face of the rear differential case.
- Ensure that the ignition switch is OFF .
- Block the front wheels, then raise and safely support the rear of the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the sensor cover.
- Detach the wiring harness connector from the sensor by gently prying outward on the connector plastic retaining tabs.
- Remove the sensor retaining bolt, then pull the sensor out of the differential case.
- Clean the sensor mounting surface on the differential case thoroughly.
- Prior to installation, inspect the O-ring for damage or deterioration. Replace the O-ring with a new one if any such damage is evident. Also, inspect the sensor tooth to be sure that it is free of any metal particles.
- Apply sealant to the sensor (as shown in the accompanying illustration), then insert the sensor into the differential case.
- Install and tighten the sensor retaining bolt to 159-248 inch lbs. (18-28 Nm).
- Reattch the wiring harness connector to the sensor, then install the sensor cover.
- Lower the vehicle and remove the wheel blocks.