REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
1996-98 Sidekick, Tracker and X-90 models equipped with the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) require a scan tool to properly bleed the brake system. If you are servicing such a vehicle, please refer to the applicable ABS information located at the end of this information BEFORE you perform any brake procedures.
- For 1996-98 Sidekick, Tracker and X-90 models equipped with 4-wheel ABS, remove the ABS actuator from the engine compartment.
- Remove the master cylinder.
- Disconnect the vacuum hose from the booster.
- From inside the vehicle, remove the pushrod clevis pin and cotter pin from the brake pedal arm.
- Loosen the brake booster mounting nuts, then remove the brake booster from the vehicle.
- If another booster is going to be installed, disconnect the pedal attachment (the clevis and nut) from the booster.
- If necessary, connect the pedal attachment to the booster.
Before installing the brake power booster, measure and, if necessary, adjust the pushrod clevis length.
- Position the booster on the firewall so that the booster studs protrude through the firewall into the passenger's compartment of the vehicle.
- Install the retaining nuts, then tighten the mounting nuts to 88-141 inch lbs. (2-16 Nm).
- Install the pushrod clevis pin and cotter pin to the brake pedal arm.
- Connect the vacuum hose to the booster.
Before installing the master cylinder on the brake power booster, adjust the master cylinder-to-booster piston rod clearance, as described in the master cylinder procedure.
- For 1996-98 models, apply silicone grease to the master cylinder piston.
- Mount the master cylinder on the booster, then install all related components (including the ABS actuator for 1996-98 Sidekick, Tracker and X-90 models equipped with ABS).
- Fill the brake fluid reservoir, then bleed the brake hydraulic system.
- After bleeding the system, check brake pedal height and play.
CLEVIS LENGTH CHECK
See Figure 3
- Before installing the brake power booster, ensure that the pushrod clevis length is correct. If the length is incorrect, the brake pedal will not properly engage the booster and master cylinder, and may possibly cause premature master cylinder or booster malfunctioning.
- Remove the brake booster.
- Measure the distance from the hole in the clevis to the booster-to-firewall mating surface (on the booster). This measurement is A in the accompanying illustration. The distance should be 4.94-4.98 in. (12.55-12.65cm) for Samurai models, or 4.96-5.00 in. (12.61-12.71cm) for Sidekick, Tracker, Sidekick Sport and X-90 models.
- If the measurement is not within the specified range, adjust the clevis length by turning the clevis until the proper length is achieved.
- Tighten the clevis locknut to 15-21 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Install the brake power booster.