Signal Generator and Rotor Air Gap
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the distributor cap and rotor.
- Using a feeler gauge, measure the clearance between the signal generator and one of the signal rotor teeth. The clearance should be 0.008-0.016 in. (0.2-0.4mm).
- If the air gap is not within the specified range, adjust it as follows:
- Remove the distributor from the engine, then the igniter from the distributor.
- Slightly loosen the two signal generator screws, then, using a flat blade screwdriver, move the signal generator so that the air gap is within specifications.
- After adjusting the air gap, tighten the two signal generator screws snugly.
- Recheck the air gap to ensure that it still within specifications.
- Install the igniter (if an adjustment was made), the rotor and the distributor cap.
- Install the distributor.
For the ignition timing adjustment, please refer to General Information & Maintenance in this guide.
TFI & MFI ENGINES
No adjustments, other than ignition timing, are necessary on these engines. For this procedure, please refer to General Information & Maintenance in this guide.