REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 11
Allow the engine to cool down before servicing the exhaust manifold; the exhaust manifold becomes extremely hot during engine use, and can easily cause painful burns.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- For 1.8L engines, remove the strut tower bar.
- On 1.6L and 1.8L engines, if added working room is needed, remove the air cleaner outlet tube and the air inlet pipe.
- For 1.6L and 1.8L engines, disengage the oxygen sensor wiring harness connector. Remove the air intake case support brace from the engine.
- Remove the exhaust manifold shield retaining bolts, then separate the shield(s) from the manifold.
- If equipped, remove the exhaust manifold brace from the engine block and manifold.
- Detach the exhaust pipe from the manifold by removing the mounting nuts.
- Remove the exhaust manifold retaining bolts and nuts, then pull the exhaust manifold off of the cylinder head.
- Remove and discard the old exhaust manifold gasket.
- Thoroughly clean the manifold-to-cylinder head gasket mating surfaces of all dirt, carbon and old gasket material.
- Install a new exhaust manifold-to-cylinder head gasket on the cylinder head studs, then install the exhaust manifold. Tighten the exhaust manifold mounting fasteners to 159-248 inch lbs. (18-28 Nm). Be sure to tighten the center bolts first, then work your way out to both ends of the manifold.
- On 1.6L and 1.8L engines, install the air intake case support brace, and tighten the mounting bolts to 159-248 inch lbs. (18-28 Nm).
- Reattach the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold, using a new gasket, then tighten the attaching nuts to 29-43 ft. lbs. (40-60 Nm).
- If equipped, install the exhaust manifold brace, and tighten the brace-to-engine block bolt to 36.5-43 ft. lbs. (50-60 Nm) and the brace-to-exhaust manifold nut to 29-43 ft. lbs. (40-60 Nm).
- Posiotion the cover on the exhaust manifold and install the retaining bolts. Tighten the retaining bolts securely.
- On 1.6L and 1.8L engines, reattach the oxygen sensor lead wire to the wiring harness. Be sure to properly retain the wire with the wiring clamp.
- If removed, install the air cleaner outlet tube and the air inlet pipe.
- For 1.8L engines, install the strut tower bar. Tighten the mounting nuts and bolts to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and inspect for exhaust leaks.