REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1.3L and 1.6L Engines
See Figures 1 through 6
If your vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, refer to General Information & Maintenance for information regarding the implications of servicing your A/C system yourself. Only an MVAC-trained, EPA-certified automotive technician should service the A/C system or its components.
- If your vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, have your A/C system evacuated by a qualified MVAC technician.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine cooling fan and fan shroud.
- If equipped, detach the A/C compressor suction flexible hose from the pipe. Also, remove the A/C compressor drive belt.
- Remove the water pump drive belt and the water pump pulley.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley by loosening the outer retaining bolts and pulling it off of the end of the crankshaft.
The crankshaft pulley center bolt does not hold the pulley on the crankshaft (it secures the timing belt sprocket on the crankshaft) and should not be loosened at this time.
- Remove the timing belt outer cover retaining fasteners, then pull the cover off of the engine block and cylinder head.
- Clean the timing belt cover, engine block gasket mating surface, and seal of all dirt and grime. Inspect the seal for damage, such as tears, rips, crumbling, excessive hardening, etc. Replace the seal if any damage is evident.
- Install the timing belt cover gasket in the groove on the inside of the cover. Position the cover on the engine block and cylinder head, then install the retaining fasteners. Tighten the fasteners until snug.
- Slide the crankshaft pulley on the end of the crankshaft so that the keyway in the pulley is aligned with the key on the crankshaft. Install the pulley retaining bolts, and tighten them to 80-106 inch lbs. (9-12 Nm).
- Install the water pump pulley and the accessory drive belts.
- Install the engine cooling fan and shroud.
- If equipped, reconnect the air conditioner compressor suction flexible hose and pipe.
- Adjust the accessory drive belt tension, as described in General Information & Maintenance .
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- If equipped, have the A/C system evacuated and recharged by a qualified MVAC technician.