REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
During these procedures, identify all components removed from the engine so that they may be reinstalled in their original positions. If discarding the old components so that new components can be installed, identifying the old items is not necessary.1.3L and 1.6L Engines
See Figures 1 through 7
- Remove the timing belt cover, timing belt, tensioner, plate and spring.
- Remove the water pump mounting bolts.
- Remove the one (1.6L MFI engines) or two (1.3L and 1.6L TFI engines) small rubber seals from between the water pump and the oil pump, and the water pump and the cylinder head.
- If necessary for clearance, remove the oil level dipstick tube retaining bolt from the engine block and the alternator adjusting brace.
- Pull the water pump off of the engine block. If the water pump is difficult to remove from the engine block, use a soft-faced mallet to tap the water pump housing until it loosens.
Do not disassemble the water pump; if the water pump is damaged or defective, the entire unit is replaced.
- Thoroughly clean the water pump gasket mating surfaces of old gasket material and corrosion.
- Along with a new gasket, install the water pump on the engine block. Tighten the water pump mounting bolts to 88-115 inch lbs. (10-13 Nm).
- On 1.3L and TFI 1.6L engines, install two new rubber seals: one between the water pump and oil pump, and the other between the water pump and the cylinder head. The MFI 1.6L engines only use one rubber seal, located between the water and oil pumps.
- If removed, install the alternator adjusting brace and the oil level dipstick retaining bolt.
- Install the timing belt, tensioner, plate, spring and cover.
See Figures 8 and 9
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine cooling system.
- Disconnect the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing.
- Remove the heater outlet pipe bolt.
- Remove the alternator belt.
When removing the water pump, do not misplace the dowel pin.
- Remove the four water pump mounting bolts, then remove the water pump from the engine. Discard the old water pump mounting bolts.
- Remove the water pump O-ring and discard it.
- Install a new O-ring on the water pump, and ensure that the dowel pins are still mounted in the water pump prior to installation.
- Position the water pump on the engine and install NEW mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 221 inch lbs. (25 Nm). Failure to use four new bolts when installing the water pump may lead to coolant leakage.
- Install the heater outlet pipe bolt.
- Install the alternator drive belt.
- Reattach the upper radiator hose to the thermostat housing.
- Fill the cooling system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.