REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
This is a general procedure; certain steps may need alteration for your particular vehicle.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the left heater duct from beneath the instrument panel. This will present better access for antenna installation.
- Detach the antenna cable from the radio and the radio mounting bracket.
- Attach the end of a long piece (at least 8-10 feet/2.4-3m) of firm wire to the radio end of the antenna cable BEFORE pulling the cable out through the A pillar. Be sure that the wire is securely fastened to the antenna cable; you do not want the two coming undone halfway through the A pillar. The wire will be used to run the antenna back through the A pillar during installation.
During the next step, do not pull the antenna cable so far out of the vehicle so that the inner end of the firm wire also comes out of the body; the inner end of the wire should stay inside the vehicle so that it can be used to pull the antenna cable back into the vehicle.
- Remove the antenna mast screws, then slowly pull the antenna mast up and away from the outside of the A pillar, which will slowly draw the antenna cable through the A pillar opening. Slowly pull the antenna cable all the way through until the radio end exits the A pillar hole. An assistant inside the vehicle guiding the antenna cable, makes it much easier to pull the cable out through the vehicle body.
- Detach the antenna cable from the firm wire. Leave the wire in the A pillar.
- Reattach the exposed end of the long piece of firm wire to the radio end of the antenna cable. Be sure that the wire is securely fastened to the antenna cable; you do not want the two coming undone halfway through the A pillar.
- Have an assistant slowly pull the firm wire into the vehicle interior while you guide the antenna cable down into the A pillar opening. Once all of the antenna cable is routed into the passengers' compartment, position the antenna mast on the vehicle body and install the mounting screws securely.
- Detach the antenna cable from the firm wire.
- Reattach the antenna cable to the radio and radio mounting bracket.
- Install the left heater duct.
- Connect the negative battery cable, turn the radio on, kick back and listen to some great tunes to ensure that the antenna is functioning properly.