Only the X-90 model is equipped with a trunk lid; hard-top Samurai, Sidekick, Tracker and Sidekick Sport models are equipped with a back door, and soft-top Samurai, Sidekick and Tracker models are equipped with tailgates.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Open and support the trunk lid. You can use an old broom handle or other long piece of wood with clean rags or padding wrapped around the ends to protect the vehicle from scratches or chips.
- Position fenders covers or old blankets over both fenders to protect the paint in case the trunk lid accidentally strikes the painted surface of the fenders.
- Remove the trunk side plate, located on the inner left-hand side of the trunk.
- Detach the vehicle wiring harness connectors from the trunk lid wiring harness connectors.
- Disengage the trunk lid wiring harness from the hinge.
- Have an assistant support the trunk lid while you remove the trunk lid-to-hinge post bolts.
- Once the bolts are removed, carefully lift the trunk lid (with the help or your assistant) off of the vehicle and position it aside. You may wish to place the trunk lid on a soft protective surface such as carpet remnants or some clean rags.
- With the aid of your helper, position the trunk lid on the vehicle so that the hinge-to-trunk lid mounting bolt holes align with the holes in the hinges.
- Have your helper hold the trunk lid steady while you install and tighten the retaining bolts.
- Close and open the trunk lid several times slowly and carefully to ensure that there is not binding or interference between the trunk lid latch and the latch striker. If there is interference or binding, align the trunk lid latch striker plate until these symptoms no longer exist. To adjust the striker plate, simply loosen the mounting screws and move the plate so that the striker shaft is approximately aligned with the center of the trunk lid latch groove, then retighten the bolts securely.
- Open the trunk lid.
- Reattach the trunk lid wiring harness to the hinge post.
- Reattach the vehicle wiring harness and trunk lid wiring harness connectors.
- Install the trunk side plate.
- Close the trunk lid.
Accoding to the manufacturer, the trunk lid does not require any adjustment other than the latch striker plate. To adjust the striker plate, simply loosen the mounting screws and move the plate so that the striker shaft is approximately aligned with the center of the trunk lid latch groove, then retighten the bolts securely.