REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Loosen all of the front wheel lug nuts 1 / 2 turn.
- Apply the parking brake, block the rear wheels, then raise and safely support the front of the vehicle on jackstands.
- Drain the oil in the front differential.
- Remove the front wheels and disconnect the brake caliper. There is no need to disconnect the brake hose. Support the brake caliper with a piece of wire; do not allow the caliper to hang from the brake hose.
- Disconnect the tie rod end from the steering knuckle. (The tie rod end removal may require the use of a puller.)
- Remove the 8 oil seal cover mounting bolts and remove the felt pad, oil seal, and the retainer from the steering knuckle.
- Mark the upper and lower kingpins. Remove the 4 mounting bolts and disconnect the kingpins from the steering knuckle. The kingpins must be kept separated so as to prevent an error during reassembly.
- Remove the axle shaft from the housing with the steering knuckle attached.
At this time, the lower kingpin bearing sometimes falls out. So remove the bearing while pulling off the knuckle gradually.
- If necessary, remove the oil seal from the axle shaft taking note of the original positioning of the seal on the shaft.
- If the front axle shaft seal was removed, apply grease to the lip portion of the seal, and slide the seal into place on the axle shaft.
- If a new axle shaft is being installed, transfer the steering knuckle to the new axle shaft. Install the axle shaft into the differential housing.
- Install the lower kingpin bearing and the upper and lower kingpins in their correct location. Tighten the mounting bolts to 177-265 inch lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Install the steering knuckle oil seal, felt pad, retainer, and the 8 mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts to 71-106 inch lbs. (8-12 Nm).
- Connect the tie rod end to the steering knuckle and tighten the nut to 22-39 ft. lbs. (30-55 Nm). Install a new cotter pin.
- Install the front brake caliper assembly. If the brake line was disconnected, bleed the brake system.
- Install the front wheels and refill the differential with the proper fluid.
- Lower the vehicle.