REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the heater control panel.
- Matchmark the positions of the control cable housings on the retaining clips.
- Detach the cables from the control panel levers.
- Working under the instrument panel, disconnect the cables from the heater case. If there is not enough clearance to detach the cables from the heater case, the instrument panel must be removed.
- Detach the cables from any retaining clips, then remove the cables from the vehicle.
- Route the cables in their original positions, then secure them with the retaining clips.
- Attach the cables to the heater case levers.
- If necessary, install the instrument panel.
- Reattach the cables to the heater control panel, ensuring to align the matchmarks made during removal. If new cables are being installed, adjust them as described later in this section.
- Install the heater control panel.
See Figures 3 through 10
The heater control cables are adjusted by positioning the cable sleeves in the retaining clips of the control panel so that when the cables are attached to the control levers, the heating system air is properly routed throughout the ducting. After installing the cables, but before installing the control panel in the instrument panel, start the engine and operate the various control levers of the control panel, ensuring that they all function smoothly and the air is routed properly. If the levers are not quite right, loosen the cable sleeve retaining clips and reposition the sleeve in relation to the clips. Retest the operation of the lever. For Sidekick, Tracker, Sidekick Sport and X-90 models, perform the following:
To correctly adjust the air control cable, perform the following steps:
- Move the control lever to the VENT position.
- For vehicles manufactured in Canada (refer to General Information & Maintenance for VIN information), position the end of the cable sleeve so that it projects 0.00-0.01 in. (0-1mm) from the retaining clip.
- For vehicles manufactured in Japan, insert the cable sleeve into the retainer until it stops, then clamp it securely. If the cable sleeve does not stop and projects past the retainer clamp, pull it back until it is flush with the edge of the clamp.
As shown in the accompanying illustration, push the door (damper) linkage fully in the direction of the arrow to affix the cable and rod into the proper position.
- To adjust the Heater Control (HOT-COOL Selector) cable, move the control lever to the COOL position. Then, push the lever on the heater case in the direction indicated to properly position the cable.
- To adjust the Fresh Air Control (FRESH-CIRC Selector) cable, move the control lever to the FRESH position. Then, push the lever on the heater case in the direction indicated to properly position the cable.