REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the heater system blower motor, as described earlier in this section.
- Set the heater assembly case on its side on a clean, flat work surface.
- Loosen the heater assembly screws that hold the two assembly case halves together, then lift the upper case half off of the lower case half.
- Remove the heater core from the bottom case half.
- Set the heater core in the lower case half.
- Install the upper case half onto the lower case half, ensuring that all air control flap pins are installed in the proper holes.
- Install and tighten the case half attaching bolts securely.
- Install the blower motor and heater case in the vehicle.
Sidekick, Tracker, Sidekick Sport and X-90 Models
See Figures 1 through 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine cooling system into a large, clean catch pan.
- Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle, as described in General Information & Maintenance 0.
- Remove the instrument panel center support from the firewall.
- Detach and label all wiring harness connectors from the heater case.
- Disconnect all of the cables from the heater case.
- Detach the two heater hoses from the heater case.
- Remove the defroster duct and speedometer cable retaining bracket from the heater case.
- Remove the grommets and floor duct from the case.
- Open the hood, then remove the heater case-to-firewall mounting nuts from the engine side of the firewall.
- Remove the two mounting bolts from inside the passengers' compartment, then remove the case from the vehicle.
- Loosen the heater core retaining bolts, then slide the heater core out of the heater case.
- Install the heater core in the heater case, then tighten the retaining bolts securely.
- Position the heater case in the vehicle, against the firewall, and install the mounting bolts. Tighten them securely.
- From the engine compartment, install and tighten the heater case mounting nuts securely.
- Install the floor duct and grommets, then reattach the speedometer cable retaining bracket and defroster duct to the heater case.
- Reattach all of the cables, hoses and wiring harness connectors to the heater case.
- Install the instrument panel center bracket, ensuring to tighten the bolts securely.
- Install the instrument panel.
- Fill the engine cooling system, as described in General Information & Maintenance .
- Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and ensure that the heater system works properly.